Aerial Photo Of China Camp State Park
1955 Aerial photo of China Camp State Park. In 1844, the Spanish granted much of the land that now comprises the park to Timothy Murphy, an Irish settler who became mayor of San Rafael. Following the United States takeover of California in 1846, Murphy lost most of his land and the property came into the possession of John and George McNear, two Sonoma County businessmen who established a large dairy ranch and other businesses, such as a quarry and brickyard, on the site. These businesses employed a number of Chinese immigrants, who began to settle in the area.